In fact, 92% of consumers say they expect food and beverage companies and brands to actively help increase the recycling of their packages.*
* According to a national survey of more than 6,900 U.S. adults conducted for the Carton Council by Research+Data Insights.
Learn why influencer Natasha from @natashacooked always looks for products in cartons in the video below.
The carton is the first place to start!
The packaging itself plays a critical role in driving carton recycling action - 74% of consumers report they would assume a package is not recyclable if it did not have a recycling symbol or language on it. We also know that the majority of consumers look to a product’s packaging first to check if a package is recyclable. Don’t miss this opportunity to educate!
Help us spread the word that cartons are recyclable
- Add recycling information on-pack
- Add recycling information to your website
- Add recycling information to your sales and promotion materials
- Share recycling information through social media and other channels
Food and beverage cartons are recyclable! Now that the majority of U.S. households have access to carton recycling, and given increasingly limited natural resources, it is more important than ever for brands to help spread the word.
The following toolkit materials allow you to easily incorporate content into your brand’s website, emails, and social media channels to leverage our campaign activities and raise your brand’s commitment to sustainability at the same time.
In addition, we want to help ensure carton recycling is available at events you sponsor. Please notify Carton Council if you are sponsoring an event and want support to increase access and/or awareness of carton recycling: email@example.com.
Lastly, if you have any upcoming commercial or industrial roofing projects, we can connect you to manufacturers like Continuus who use recycled cartons to produce eco-friendly and durable building materials.
Here’s a list of what’s in the toolkit and how to use it:
- What kind of environmental champion are you?: This online quiz encourages consumers to assess if their lifestyle is as green as can be or if there is room for improvement.
- How to Recycle Your Cartons: This educational video shows you how to recycle your cartons and the different types of paper products that cartons are transformed into.
- Impact of Carton Recycling: This educational video explains how carton recycling has a positive impact on the Earth.
- Video gallery: Explore the many videos Carton Council has with social media influencers and recycling leaders sharing why they recycle and their tips for making it easy.
Top videos and blogs from Carton Council and our influencers:
- A Peek Behind-The-Scenes From Inside Recycling Facilities: This blog explores what happens after consumers recycle their cartons and where their recyclables go. The blog features a tour of Dem-Con, a materials recovery facility, and Sustana’s Fox River Fiber Mill, a fiber recycling facility.
- Why Recycling Remains Essential to a Sustainable American Future: China was never a home for post-consumer food and beverage cartons (a.k.a. used cartons) when sorted separately from other recycled paper. This blog explains why recycling is essential to a sustainable future and why it’s important now more than ever to recycle your cartons.
- Green smoothie waffles: This IGTV episode produced in partnership with Kelly Pfeiffer from @noshandnourish showcases one of her favorite waffle recipes and encourages viewers to recycle their cartons when they’re done cooking.
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta recipe video produced in partnership with the popular food blog My Healthy Dish.
- Guilt-Free Chocolate Pudding recipe video produced in partnership with Rachel of the popular food blog Bakerita.
Content you can use in your own communications efforts, including:
- Recycling badges:
- Recycling logo to place on your brand’s products
- Recycle logo guidelines
Thank you for helping us get the word out to your customers and followers.
Your Friends at the Carton Council